Here are just a few of the most unusual and memorable signs we’ve encountered in South Africa. In many ways they reflect our experiences here.
Always expect the unexpected …and in South Africa always expect wildlife, anywhere and everywhere at any time.
2. There are many frustrations to expat life, often we find they can be a little more frustrating yet when in Africa.
3. South Africans have a great sense of humor. Having said that, this sign displays slightly borderline and creepy humor. Or should that be peepy humor?
4. As expats, everyday we have to face our fears in a strange new place. Many of these fears are unfounded, but snakes are scary, beware of snakes, especially because (as I’ve already said) in South Africa you must expect wildlife anywhere and everywhere at any time.
5. Its’ a sad fact of life that wherever in the world you are, people prey on the vulnerable and insecure.
6. South Africa is famous for it’s gold and diamond mines. One of the best things I’ve done South Africa is sign up for Jewellery School (and okay I work with silver and semi-precious stones rather than gold and diamonds) but it’s been a great way to broaden my social network and learn a unusual new skill.
7. Dung beetles are the most awesome little creatures and should definitely not be run over by cars – they are the absolute best at sorting sh*t out, just like expat partners.
Which sign is your favorite and why?
What’s the most bizarre signage you’ve come across wherever in the world you are?